Monday, March 6, 2017

Jacksonville, Arkansas - Week 3

Hello Family!

This week has been really good and I want to tell you all about it!

Elder Murdoch and I have really been getting along and he has really helped me to learn how to work here in the mission field. There are a lot of lessons that I am learning on the dos and the don't of missionary work and he has been an intricate part of my learning experience here. His personality sometimes is hard to read, but when he is happy you can really tell. He has a bit of stress on him right now because he has only been out 5 months and this if the first transfer where he has been a trainer, senior companion and the district leader. Wow crazy right? I'm trying to help him in any way that I can, and we have seen quite a few blessings this week. He also is from Idaho Falls. Idaho Represent haha.

This week was bike week and it's been one for the books. It has been hard getting physically fit for the mission but this week was great. We were able to find some more people to teach and we are going to try to follow up with them so we can get some more new investigators.

Miracle for the week - we committed Pamela to baptism on April 15!!! I actually extended the invitation and it was awesome. We taught her the Restoration and she was really interested and had some great questions that we were able to help her with. I really think that if she becomes a member then she will end up in the relief society or something because she is really giving and just awesome. Please pray for the investigators that we have. These people are crazy busy with their lives but they really need this gospel and the blessing that are here with it. 

I have been reminded this week that no matter what happens in the day we need to read the Book of Mormon. It really can make or break the day and you need to read it for at the very least 10 minutes a day. Even if you study something else like conference or ensign or whatever start the study with at least 10-15 minutes of the Book of Mormon. It really, really helps you to have a better day, and a better week. 

My challenge for the week is to prepare for the sacrament the day before. Read over the sacrament prayers and try to really direct your thoughts to the Savior as you read. The sacrament is what he would be doing if he were going to church with all of us. He would be up on the stand breaking and blessing the bread and blessing the water. Think about that. He wants us to remember him at that time and throughout the whole week. Remember to do this and you will be richly blessed. 

Here are just some other random thoughts:

Funny story...We went do dinner and one of the Elders did the "mean pig challenge." One of the elders here ate the mean pig which is a pulled pork sandwich that Satan makes and the goal is to eat the sandwich and hold it down for 5 minutes. Sadly the elder only made it to 4:23 before he puked. The sandwich was so hot.:)

I got the greenie box and it was such a blessing and it really helped me be really happy. The little memes in there really made me laugh and made my day. Thanks for all the sweets too that was such a awesome surprise.

As I mentioned before, I did get my bike and it is a really nice bike. I am worried that it could get stolen so I will probably tape it up and try to make it look a little ghetto but yea it's way nice and totally worth the money. This week was my first bike week and wow I am spent. We have 3 weeks in a car and then one week on bikes or walking. It was really hard but the Lord does give strength to his weary missionaries. 

I am getting emails from the family and they have really helped me out so much.

The Lord has been very kind to me and has helped me start to feel better. The problem with the MTC was every single meal was a boatload of carbs. I felt terrible.... My insides wanted to be on my outsides to say the least, but now that I am in the mission field I am feeling much better. I have a ham sandwich every day for lunch and that really helps my numbers stay good and helps me feel good. The protein bars also really are awesome for breakfast and I actually really like them, so tell Grandpa that I owe him one and that it was probably inspiration for him to tell me about those because they have been my go to for breakfast and have been lifesavers. 
I am going to send an email to Grandma Becky and have her send me the digital family list with addresses and all family emails. I need this so that I can send emails to whoever I feel inspired needs one, that and so that I can send actual letters to them. There have been many times that I wanted to email one of the cousins but I have not had their emails . I write my letters on Sundays and Mondays and any other spare time that I find that I have so if Grandma needs help with the family list please have someone help her with that. (Maybe Sammy ;)  We only have one hour and 15 minutes to write emails so this helps tremendously if I could send some letters. 

Thanks for letting me know about the ward. I wish that I could list off the many ward family members that have made a difference and I wish that I had the time to. Please tell them all that I pray for them and love them all so dearly.

I have really felt the love and the support from everyone there and I can feel the power of prayer and fasting. I can't even begin to  say how grateful I am for the amazing family that the Lord has blessed me with. This week I have tried really hard to forget myself and go to work. Every time that I have felt discouraged I have remembered to count my many blessings and when I do this I feel overwhelmed with gratitude that I have been so richly blessed by the good Lord himself. First thing that I count is my amazing family. You all bless me is so many different ways. I really can feel your prayers and they really do make a difference. Please keep praying for me and I pray for all of you. I love you all more then I can adequately or possibly describe and I know that even though it's hard for us to be apart, because of the temple and the sacred covenents that we make therein we can be sealed as a family for time and for all eternity. That is such a blessing! I pray that you all will remain save and that you will have the blessings that you all stand in need of and I really, really miss you but I know that I am here doing what I need to be doing. I love you all.

With much love,

Elder Skyler Glen Larsen

This was the last picture of my MTC district that I just received today. 

Waiver that must be signed to do the "Mean Pig Challenge"


This is a screeshot from Family Search that proved to Elder Murdoch and Sister Platt that I can trace my line back to Adam :)


This bridge was built in 1925!


This was the sky on Tuesday night and there was a tornado warning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment