Thursday, May 25, 2017

Week 14 - Working hard in Jacksonville

Hello Family! 

I rejoice with you in the Gospel of Jesus Christ! I thank you for what you do, but mostly I thank you for the amazing Family that you are!

So to answer a few questions that have been sent to me,

My companion is Elder Ralph. He is a swell quy. He is 6'10" and has a real big heart. He is the district leader and I'm the designated driver. We have had a really good companionship so far. He snores at night so thank Heaven for ear plugs right? LOL.

One more thing that was really cool this week before I get into the highlights, was when we had a chance to go dedicate the sisters apartment. They said that something didn't feel right with their apartment, so we went over and dedicated it by the power of the Holy Priesthood. I'm so grateful for the chance that I have to be a holder of the Holy Priesthood. It is such an amazing opportunity and what a privilege.

I have really been hard core studying my patriarchal blessing for the last week and a half. The spirit has been telling me that there is more to some of the passages that what I had thought and so after really studying it for a few days I have come to the conclusion that what I thought I needed to do with my life actually isn't what I am supposed to do. For the longest time I thought I should become a programmer and earn big money, but now I think that the Lord wants me to teach Religion at BYU-I. I'm not sure how it will all work out but that is what the Spirit has confirmed to me that this is what I need to do with my life.

This last week has been mighty interesting... The highlights were we helped out at a Methodist church, extended 2 baptismal invites and I actually know what I want to do with my life.

We were informed by the sisters that the Methodist church was in need of help with one of their soup kitchens. So we stopped by there and helped them feed people. That was pretty cool. Right before we started helping we were able to go on a quick tour of the place. It had a lot of the same features of the LDS Church but the big difference was the spirit. Being in the building the spirit felt a bit uncomfortable and in some places he was completely absent. It was really eye opening and strange. The spirit doesn't dwell in unholy places and even though this church resembled godliness it denied the power thereof and therefore the spirit was absent. The Christus that they had also kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Christ's hands were up in a way that was like " praise me I'm so much better then you" kind of a feel. Whereas the Christus that the Church has in SLC, and other places, has his hands down, palms facing outward like "Come unto me all ye that are burdened and heavy laden, and I will give you rest." I definitely an grateful for the Holy Spirit that can lead us and guide us in the way that we should go. He can also help us discern what is good and what is evil.

We had a really good church tour with Dexter the other day and it was awesome. We took him on a tour of the church and talked about the paintings, rooms and the baptismal font. He had a ton of really good questions and we had a great discussion. We need him to come to church a few more times and then he can get baptized

We also extended 2 baptismal invites this week. I had the chance to extend those and bore powerful, humble testimony of the reality of the first vision when God the Father and His wonderful Son, Jesus Christ, appeared to the boy Joseph Smith and answered his humble prayer. It was amazing and I was filled with such love for these people and I felt the spirit so strongly. My heart was filled with Joy. I love being a missionary!!!

I love being able to serve my fellow men here in the good Ole South. I love the people here. I have a strong testimony that our Savior knows our names. He knows who we are, the life we've lived, the struggles that we are going through now, and the glorious future that awaits us. Remember this important truth that we have: Grace can be applied everyday,  Everyday,  EVERYDAY! Our Savior is looking for every reason under the sun to bless us, and strengthen us on our difficult, unique journey back home.

It never seems like I have enough time to pray. There are so many things that I want to talk with my Father about, but alas he knows my heart and the things that I desire to say, so I know that that is enough. 

My whole work and purpose is to help bring souls unto Christ. The only reward for this labor is as soon as I see my Savior again, after I am done kissing his feet and bathing them in my tears of gratitude, I just want to hug him. No words need be said, I just want to give my older Brother a hug, for that will say more words than my poor vocabulary can express. That is all I want.

I love you all so much Family! I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for all of you and your continued prayers for me and for the good people of the South.  

Have a fantastic week! 

Elder Skyler Glen Larsen

Elder Ralph and Elder Larsen

Jacksonville District May 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment